Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Charlee Sue

Now that Charlee is 4 weeks old, a month on Thursday, I've decided it's time I finally write down her birth story.  Mostly so it's written down before I forget!

Sunday May 24 was just another Sunday.  I had finished up my last week of teaching; my doc put me on bed rest for the last week of school.  We went to church and I felt good, extremely uncomfortable and tired, but good.  We came home from church and I was all excited about not having to prepare for another Monday at school.  I laid down for a nap and woke up around 3-3:30ish and told Curtis that I was pretty sure I was having contractions.  They kept coming so we decided I should track them to see how long they were lasting and how far apart they were.  We kept up our usual routine; watched a movie, started dinner, at dinner.  But at about 6 we decided we better head to the hospital.  We went to the ER and got admitted.  And by the way, ER people are never in a hurry to admit you.  Haha:) Longest 10 minutes ever! 

We were taken up to our room and the nurses got right to work getting me ready to have a baby!  They checked me and were shocked I was already dilated to a 5 1/2 and 100% effaced!  They got me hooked up to monitors and IVs and we settled in.  The anesthesiologist was in surgery, so we had to wait a solid 2 hours for him to come give me the epidural.  He FINALLY made it up to my room and got the epidural and by that point I was feeling great!  My doc came to break my water and give me some pitocin to get things moving along.  I was making pretty good progress but after about an hour or so the epidural started wearing off and I was in a lot of pain.  So the anesthesiologist came back to give me another dose in the epidural.  After that second dose I got feeling SO sick.  I called the nurse in and told her I was sick to my stomach so they gave me some Zofran.  Well that didn't work and I ended up puking up all my dinner.  Yuck.  But the doctor came back a couple more times and I was making really good progress.  There were a couple of really tight spots in my cervix that were a little concerning to her, but she massaged them out and we were both stoked when she told me that it was finally time to push!  I was scared but so excited. 

I started pushing and it was so hard!  Haha:)  Because I had to get a second dose in the epidural, I couldn't feel a darn thing and that was making pushing really, really hard!  The nurses would tell me one time that I was doing great and to push just like that again.  So I'd push again and they'd tell me I wasn't doing it right.  So they decided to take me off the epidural and it wore off so fast and then I could feel EVERYTHING.  So painful.  Like I was dying.  All this time though, Curtis was there holding my hand and he kept telling me I could do it!  They asked if I wanted a mirror so I could see, and I did!  I'm so glad I did cause just about the time I was ready to quit, they told me to look and I could see my baby's head!  It was amazing! 

After a little under an hour of pushing, Charlee Sue Cazier was finally here!  They let me hold her for a minute, let Curtis cut the cord, then whisked her away for cleaning and testing and foot prints and such.  I immediately asked for some pain meds, which a part of me regrets cause they made me so loopy.  But Curtis took good pictures.  They gave Charlee a bath and finally gave her back to me.  I cried like a baby!  It was such a miracle and tender time to hold my sweet baby for the first time.  I was in love instantly.  And to see my sweetheart hold our new baby girl: oh my heart. 

 2:12 AM
 6 pounds 7 ounces







No comments:

Post a Comment