I had to write this as a quickwrite in class, Here's to you Grandma!
When I was young, I loved to visit Grandma Gygi. She used to let me pick a song and we would both sit at the piano and She would play and sing for me. I loved it so much. I loved it so much that I wanted to start taking piano lessons. I've played ever since. I will always remember the compliments Grandma would give me when I sat down to play. She always said good things, even if I probably deserved more tips than praise. As She got older, and I did too, I stopped asking Her to play those fun, silly songs. Instead I would ask Her to play Beethoven, Mozart, DeBussy, and other such pieces. I loved the way She played. She had such a delicate touch on the keys and a passionate love for the melodies formed by the dots written on the page.
She then stopped being able to play, because of Her disease. She stopped being able to read the notes and Her fingers didn't work properly. Instead, I would play for Her, though I was never as good as Her. I loved the way She would close Her eyes as She listened. I'd like to think that She was imagining Herself playing the way She used to. She used to play for big choirs and small choirs, She played in church and for people all over Ogden. She even was recorded playing a few times. She also taught piano lessons. Then her disease took her so far away she stopped remembering all that she once knew so well. She stopped requesting I play for Her and She stopped being able to answer musical questions I had for Her. When she died I played at her funeral. I hope that I made her proud.
I was glad to get this little assignment in class. I was happy to look back at the life and talents my Grandma who I will always admire.
No comments:
Post a Comment