I have a big regret on my mind these days and it is this: I didn't take ANY pictures of our first Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years. I don't know what happened! Our home was decorated nicely: we got our first tree and strung popcorn for it and everything. We had a cute wreath on our door. We lit a pine candle. But no pictures. I think the biggest reason I didn't think about it was simply because I was too busy loving it all so much that I wasn't thinking about finding the camera. The school year took up too much of my time, so when I had all this time to spend just being with Curtis I wasn't thinking about anything except how happy I was just being with him.
Our first Christmas was simply divine though. We set budgets back in early November. We got a tree. We strung popcorn for said tree. We got a tree skirt and ornaments, complete with bows and candy canes. It was lovely. And soon presents starting appearing under the tree. You could cut the love and Christmas spirit here with a knife; it was palpable. Curtis and I spent many nights working, but then coming home and enjoying a nice movie together. We slept together almost every night! We went to the Mangum (Curtis' mom's side) party first and it was a blast. It's customary to play Bingo and win cool prizes! I love that family:) Then we had the usual Bennington Christmas party which is always a blast. Santa comes to this party. Not just some cheap rented one...the same one has come to this party ever since I was a little girl. Granted, he lost a lot of magic since I've grown up. But he's still the real Santa...just creepier. Ha.
Christmas Eve came and I was so excited. My excitement was mixed with a bit of sadness that Curtis had to work a grave that night...but also thankfulness that this would be Curtis' last grave. When he got home Christmas morning I was never more happy to see him! I got right out of bed and we sat on our couch in our little home and started some new traditions. This year we hung a tiny stocking on our tree. Inside the stocking we each gave a gift to the Savior; things we'd like to do for him to help us spiritually and to grow as a family. I like that new tradition.
We sure were spoiled this year. Santa brought us a Wii. And boy have we loved that thing to death! We play Mario like it's nobody's business! Curtis gave me new boots and a bracelet and a headband and a recipe book I've been wanting AND a tablet! I love it! Curtis got new basketball shoes (which is a whole other story!) and some new shirts and a new sweater. Oh and a new picture of the Savior, the one where he's holding a black baby. We love it. CURTIS loves it and it means a lot to him. There's more...but that's the gist of it. We were spoiled.
New Year's Eve was split between Jill and Steve (Cazier parents) and my parents. With the Cazier's we went to a buffet at the Coppermill. DELISH! Enough said. Then we just went to my parents to play the wii, watch the ball drop, and eat more food. I got a kiss at midnight from my sweetheart. It was a great night!
We loved every minute of this holiday season. We loved all the food, the giving, the receiving, and mostly the time spent together and with our families. So do I still regret not taking pictures? Yes. But it's all okay. I won't ever forget this Christmas and I don't need pictures to help me remember the feelings I had. However, I need to get my camera out and at the ready. Put that on my list of goals for the year.
I didn't get any pics of our first Christmas either...I feel horrible! But hey I tagged you in a post on my blog. Check it out!
ReplyDelete