Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2 cents

Lately I've read a few articles online written by photographers who are defending the reason they charge exorbitant amounts of money for engagement/wedding/family/baby photos.

Look, I get it.  That's your job.  So you feel like you need to make a decent living doing that.  I understand.  But that's just it; IT'S YOUR JOB.  So when you say you charge so much because you invest so much time going to take photos, then going through all the photos, and editing, and printing.  Not to mention the fancy schmancy cameras and lenses you buy.  Plus there's the "pictures will last a lifetime" bit.  But that's part of the job.  In order to be a photographer you have to invest in photographer things.  The better you are, the more jobs you'll book, and those jobs will still pay off.  Even if you don't charge thousands of dollars.  But you still feel like you're justified charging so much. 

That's like me (as a teacher) saying, "Hey parents.  Being a teacher is my job.  But you know I invest A LOT of time in my job.  I went to school for 4+ years and am paying off student loans, so you'll have to help me pay that off quicker.  Also there will be an extra fee for any hours I spend at the school past my contract hours (this happens like everyday), or one-on-one time with your child.  And it'll cost a little extra for me to grade all those papers, and plan those cool field trips, and provide art supplies and pencils.  And I'm a better teacher, so if y'all want me to teach your kids, you're gonna have to pay!

That's not the way it works.  It's a package deal. 

I chose to teach.  I will never make much.  But that's part of the package.  Student loans, and A LOT, A TON, A HUGE, MASSIVE AMOUNT OF EXTRA TIME, planning, out of pocket expenses, yep.  That's what I signed on for when I chose my profession.  And that's because I love it.  And education lasts a lifetime. 

So in my opinion, it's just not fair, not justified, for photographers to charge up the freakin wazoo for pictures.   That's just my 2 cents...rant over.


1 comment: