Friday, May 31, 2013

Week Off

I've had the last WHOLE WEEK OFF of work.  And I have been enjoying every moment of it!  Work has been kinda frustrating for me as of late.  So I've enjoyed having some me time...and time for Curtis as well.  Curtis and I had a very relaxing Memorial Day weekend.  We just bummed around town.  We tried to avoid the crowds (we wanted to go to the beach, but knew it would be busy, plus it was gay pride weekend).  We played it pretty low key, which was perfect.  On Memorial Day we were able to have dinner with a couple in our ward.  It was so fun to talk with them and enjoy their company.  We also played a few games and had a blast with them.  It feels nice making friends!

Curtis had to work on Tuesday, so I slept in way late and was lazy ALL DAY LONG.  I had a whole list of things I wanted to get done...but only a few things were actually done.  Oh well!  But Wednesday Curtis had the day off and it was so wonderful to spend another whole, uninterrupted day with him.  Curtis worked both Thursday and today (Friday), so I spent the day being lazy, again, at home.  I'm glad to have the company of our silly Mazie puppy.  Although Curtis is clearly her favorite...she whines at the door after he leaves.  And she doesn't want to play with me the way she plays with Curtis.  But oh well!  Ha. She's still pretty great company.

Last night we had the missionaries over to our house so they could teach an investigator her first lesson.  I had never sat in on a lesson before.  It was pretty amazing.  I loved the spirit that was present.  At the part where the missionaries use Joseph Smith's words to describe the first vision:

"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me...When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air.  One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"

The sweet sister who was being taught said "Wow" under her breath.  It was a sweet moment.  And it really touched my heart.  We should always say "Wow" when we think of our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

The missionaries challenged this sister to be baptized by June 15th and she was so excited to accept the challenge!  Her knowledge of the Church already, and her desire to be close to Heavenly Father is amazing.  We really hope that we can have them here again. 

By way of other news....I was officially called to be the ward organist.  I've never even played the organ til about 4 weeks ago.  And it is different playing the organ.  And it is hard accompanying a congregation.  It's not really a calling I'm excited about...but I am excited to take on the challenge and learn a new skill. 

I've been quite homesick lately.  Not really homesick for Utah...family sick rather.  I've been longing to sit and enjoy the company of my parents and siblings.  Mother's Day was hard not being able to give my mom a hug.  My nephew walks now!  And I'm scared he won't know who I am.  I have another nephew who will be here any day now.  And it breaks my heart a little knowing I won't be able to be there.  It's hard to see my family growing and I'm not there.  And every time I talk to my grandparents I hope my family doesn't decrease in numbers. 

But I am thankful for the experiences we are having here.  And Curtis and I are learning so much.  We're learning about the world...and we're learning a lot about each other.  I'm really thankful for Curtis.  And I definitely know that we're where we are supposed to be.  There is a reason we are here.  And one day I know we'll find ourselves closer to home and family.  But in the mean time...I'm enjoying building a life here with Curtis. 

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know... we keep up on the blog here so you better keep up on it there :) We missed you tonight, Kenai actually asked where you were (we had a BBQ as a 'farewell' for Syrie and Bryce). Life goes on and it seems as though you two are making a good life for yourselves while you're there :) and that is always good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to do better at keeping up on the blog! My mom told me that you were all getting together for a BBQ! I bet that was fun! Tell Kenai that we'll have to have a phone call or something sometime (or skype maybe?). :) I'm so glad he remembers us and misses us!

    ReplyDelete